Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I feel the earth move under my feet....

Oops...another earworm.  I can't be the only one with that song stuck in my head all friggin' day, right?

Unless you live under a rock....

....ok...I can't start that way. I, personally, live under a rock.  I only listen to the radio when I'm in the car.  I don't have tv.  I go for days without booting up my pc.  I hadn't even heard about Hurricane Irene until today.

So, let me rephrase:  Perhaps you have not heard (doesn't that sound nicer?) about today's earthquake.  The epicenter was in Virginia, but we actually felt tremors here in Ohio.

It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced. I don't know that I would have felt it if I'd been working outside.  As luck would have it, we were in the middle of lunch.  Little Sis asked if the table was shaking.  I realized the wind chimes, hanging inside the window, were tinkling.  Little Sis asked if it was an earthquake.  I was just about to laugh when my chair did this weird carnival ride thing that actually made me dizzy.

We were all jumpy the rest of the day, waiting for aftershocks, or more tremors, or the sky to fall.

You guys in Cali can stop laughing at me now.  Thanks.


I never thought we'd have an earthquake here in Ohio. Of course I also never expected a hurricane to hit us, either.  It's too far to drive to the beach. How does a hurricane hit Ohio??

We've had tornadoes.    We've weathered hurricanes.   And now we've been through an earthquake. Ok, stop laughing, it was really just a tremor, but it's not an everyday thing around here, ya know?

The thing bothering me most right now is how under-prepared I feel.  Not unprepared.  We are able to deal with major events more than the average person.  Just under-prepared.  


I have this ant/squirrel thing about stocking up in the fall, anyway.  I work hard to get the garden produce put up for winter.  I used to have to work hard to get our firewood put up, as well, but now we are fortunate enough to buy wood while our woodlot recovers.  Calling for a load of wood and then stacking it doesn't even count as work after hauling it uphill.  But I digress.

I'm running through a list of things I need in case of a major catastrophe.  I know I'm running low on first aid supplies.  I also want a hand crank radio.  Both of my NOAA radios are on the fritz.  I don't know if it's a problem with them,  NOAA's signal, solar flares, or just aliens from Seattle, but it's frustrating. I count on the weather radio alarm to let me know when big storms are headed our way.  Most of them are false alarms, but still, better safe than sorry.

To be continued....
I have a lot to add to this post, but it's late.  Hoping to finish it tomorrow, but I'm publishing this part in the meantime, just to prove I'm still around. lol

No comments: