Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Peepers!!!

The peepers are here!! The peepers are here!!!

I've seen a couple of vultures over the past two weeks, as well.  Then there's Daylight Savings Time and other signs of spring...like the calendar saying it's March.  But I really need those natural reminders that yes, spring is on the way and will eventually arrive.

This time of year, it's cabin fever to the max.  I'm so sick of the cold weather, shivering every time I go outside (I will never adapt to this cold!), and staring enviously at sunny pictures my friends post on facebook.

We got some sunshine and above 60 (Fahrenheit) temps Sunday, so Eöl and I spent the entire day hiking in the woods.  It was so nice to be outside without a coat!!

The bad thing about this time of year? Sunny one minute, snowing the next.  Today has been like that, quite literally.  While out running errands this morning, I drove into a no-kidding-wall of sleet, which turned to snow and had the roads covered in less than five minutes.  Then the sun came out and it melted away.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  Right now there's snow again, but I'm hoping for some sun tomorrow.  I don't want those peepers to freeze!

I noticed the daffodils are starting to come up.  Eöl is going to pick up seed potatoes on his next run to the feed store.  Why?  When the daffodils bloom, it's time to plant potatoes!  Some people plant earlier or later, but we've had great luck with this method.  And maybe this year, I'll be able to get them in the ground while the daffodils are still in bloom, rather than so much later, like last year's red potatoes.  Those were the best potatoes ever, but putting them in the ground so late made for a small harvest.  We ate them as fast as we dug them up, so at least nothing went to waste.

Wow...I just re-read this, and I am babbling.  I think I'll quit while I'm still semi-coherent and go to bed!

No comments: