Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why am I a glutton for punishment?

I really don't know what it is about this time of year that makes me want to start a major remodeling/redecorating project.  I've just been looking back through some pics and realized it's an ongoing issue.  I must be a masochist.

In 2007, I was doing the living room flooring on Thanksgiving day.  We finished dinner and went right to work.  It was my Christmas gift, and I wanted the floor done before the tree went up.  I still love my floor.
before

After


In 2008, Little Sis' room was my holiday rush project.  From pink to blue, fairies to horses, complete with new flooring and a mysterious dead thing in the wall.  Oh, I also redid a bunch of stuff in the kitchen just before I started her room.

In 2009, Big Sis' room got a makeover, from Nightmare Before Christmas to something a little brighter.  The flooring was fine, but the ceiling needed papering, and I remember what a nightmare that was.  Ha. It was a Nightmare. Before Christmas.  Or maybe way after Christmas, by the time it was done.  That's one project I won't repeat.

In 2010, Eöl's bathroom was the project.  I still need to install new light fixtures, and eventually there will be a new sink, but it did get a new ceiling and paint job and looks pretty nice.

Fauxing it up.

I do other projects over the winter, but it seems I'm always involved in something that needs to be finished before I can start cooking for Thanksgiving.  Of course this year is no exception. *shrugs*

I've been watching Hoarders.  Actually, I've been watching a lot of junk lately; it's something to do during my very boring physical therapy exercises.   Anyway...the show always inspires me to clean, organize, and throw stuff out.

So...my upcoming adventure involves cleaning out the storage part of the garage, moving one of the freezers out there, moving a chest of drawers from the garage to a bedroom, and redoing a small chest to put in Eöl's bathroom.

I'll also be gutting my closet.  I'm sure I'll find Jimmy Hoffa in there.  Or at least a skeleton or two.  But I may not start the closet project until Thanksgiving weekend, when I will have time to finish it.  I couldn't stand to sleep in my room with all that stuff spread around.  I'd have hoarder nightmares. *shudder*

Am I the only one compelled to start crazy projects at this time of year?

No comments: