Hungarian Cream Cheese Kifli
(from Cookies to Die For by Bev Shaffer)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1/2 lb cream cheese, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1/2 Tbs baking powder
- 3 large egg yolks, reserving egg whites for brushing cookies
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting cookies
- Any flavor jam for filling
Cream together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
Mix the baking powder into egg yolks, whisking to blend. Add to the butter mixture, blending well.
Add the flour gradually until all is incorporated and dough comes away from bowl.
Divide dough in eighths and shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2". Chill dough overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Roll dough on lightly floured board, turning and flipping as you roll, until very thin, a min. of 1/16". Cut 2" squares (or any desired shape). Fill with 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp of desired filling and fold 2 of the opposite corners together. Pinch lightly to seal. Brush with reserved egg whites.
Bake until a light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool 1 minute, then remove from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
Sprinkle cookies with confectioners' sugar when cool. Makes about 6 dozen.